Thursday, October 02, 2008

lazy blogger

ok, so its been over a year since I last wrote something... and I'll have to put that down to sheer laziness... as well as the fact that I've travelled a lot out of Colombo in the past year. So sjf hasn't quite been in Colombo to well write about it!

I was tempted to delete this blog and just forget about it, but have recently been reading a number of new blogs and inspired to start again so here goes...

my main issue is that you can't really write an interesting blog if people know who you are, for to be totally honest and funny you kind of need anonymity, I always find the anonymous blogs to be far more interesting to read... they don't have to censor their writing in the fear of upsetting, offending loved ones or not-so loved ones...so that almost makes me want to start up an anonymous one... but lets see...

Well a lot happened in the last year, in terms of travel our schedule was something like this:
Sep 2007: Wales, Washington DC
Oct 2007: Davenport
Nov-Dec 2007: Mumbai, Pune, Delhi and Patna
Mar 2008: Bangalore, KL and Hong Kong
Apr 2008: Delhi
May-Jul 2008: Wales, Washington, Davenport, St Louis, Houston, London, Amsterdam

The travelling was fun... I missed my first flight ever...it was a domestic flight in the US... and it was due to my own stupidity, and it wasn't just a simple case of missing my flight... When we got to Reagan airport, and I couldn't check in on the computer at the desk, the check-in lady proceeded to tell me that I was at the wrong airport! I was supposed to be at Dulles... she was kind enough to change my ticket to the flight leaving from Reagan, but then I proceeded to somehow miss my flight... which led to a 6 hour layover in Atlanta... man that was a bad day!

Ayushi celebrated her 1st birthday, which actually had more adults than kids, with Eran being the only other baby present...got christened in DC, started walking at 11 months, had her first haircut, got her ears pierced, said her first words, then two at a time, and can now string a whole sentence together. Current favourites are:
'at ee thees' which translates into "what is this?' which she says all the time, pointing to everything...
'what 'appened?'

We also travelled a bit within Sri Lanka, including going for the Galle Lit Fest in January, which was quite fun, managed to hear authors I'd read and enjoyed like Vikram Seth, Shyam Selvadurai, Karen Roberts, William Dalrymple.

Agarpatana with my mother and the Sanderatnes...which was also fun, nice to get away from the Colombo heat... and the tea-country is beautiful!

Did a cricket trip to Dambulla, which included a non-cricketing day visit to Pollanaruwa. In fact most of August was busy with the cricket...got to have cocktails with the two teams, highlight of which was talking to MS Dhoni, Yuvraj Singh, Ajantha Mendis and Kumar Sangakarra..

Went down to Unawatane and Galle with Mali's cousin's where we stayed at Joe's beach bungalow. The highlight of which had to be the hot-tub... and Joe's great collection of dvd's which kept us up late at night. Was also good to spend some time with the cousins who were present, before everyone went their different ways!

Apart from the travels we had a number of weddings and engagements: Sumit & Monali in Mumbai, Shaluka & Geeshani's engagement in Rambukka followed by the wedding in Colombo, Dhanu's engagement at her parents home, and Dilanka & Nadhisha's grand wedding in Colombo!

Well we're off to Singapore in a weeks time, which I'm really looking forward to, not least for the shopping!

Now just need to plan something for Christmas!

No comments: