Thursday, July 06, 2006

resident status...

It's very easy to visit Sri Lanka since they issue 30 day visit visa's to almost all nationality passport holders, so as my first month was coming to an end, I had to get my resident's permit. It took us (I say us, when actually it was poor M who did 99% of it) a total of 4 trips, each of which took several hours, to see first the CONTROLLER of Immigration & Emigration, then his deputy, where we had to wait outside her cubicle for about an hour while people with badges calmly pushed into her room ahead of us. When we finally got to see her, she was unable to grant my visa as we didn't have all the documentation. The next two trips frustrated M no end, as he went on his own, only to be told that the computers were closed (err... then why can't they switch them back on???), anyway, I now have a 2 year resident's permit to live in Sri Lanka, and this was when we had used our contacts to go to the top guy to start off with, gawd knows how the common people cope ;-).

No comments: