Monday, August 28, 2006

Chalk & Cheese

Opposites attract is an often used phrase, however what is it that makes people stay together, after that initial attraction changes into something more long-lasting and permanent? So it makes me wonder what it is that keeps two people together day after day, year after year?

M is definitely the neater/tidier one out of the two of us and is borderline analy-retentive, but I probably have bouts of anal-ness that I think must have rubbed off from him over the years! In any case, the most recent event that has sparked this blog entry is that in an attempt to be caring and helpful (I'm sure the intentions are noble), M decided to draw me up a blank time-table for the week, breaking the day up into 2-4 hour slots, so that I can note down what I'm eating at what time. The idea being, that I can keep track of the portions of fruit and veg intake I get daily! But then this is also the same guy who when he wants to make a point of how I'm not pulling my weight, sends me an Excel spreadsheet listing the things on our joint TO-DO list that he's completed, vs. the ones that I still have pending... But you've got to give it to him for being persistent in his goal to constantly improve me ;-). Most of the time its quite amusing and endearing, but on occasion I think he crosses the line. Even at the moment I think I must have at least 10 emails in my inbox from him with links to on-line calendars/to-do lists, self improvement sites, and exercise sites!!!

Anyway, despite all these foibles, we're still together and I am sure my lack of interest in tidying up and keeping things at right angles must drive him mad too!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

only borderling analy retentive?! someone reeeeaallly needs to find himself a job!

Anonymous said...

Yeah sometimes I wonder how you guys manange. I'd say I am somwhere in between M and S, but both of you would drive me insane -I love To-Do lists but 10 email reminders - please, thats enough to get on anyone's tits. On the other hand, Sums - your tidying habits makes even Buri look like Martha Stewart!! ;)

-Hira