Monday, August 14, 2006

Tea with Sanath, Chaminda & Murali

If the heavens are kind and the rain is kept at bay, then we are going to watch the first game of the Unitech Cup at the Premadasa Stadium this afternoon, to watch the clash between India and the home team and favourites Sri Lanka.

None other than the Sri Lankan medium paced bowler Chaminda Vaas got our tickets for us - which was pretty cool. I was sent as chaperone to M's cousin Shiv who made friends with Chaminda, Sanath and a few other of the Sri Lankan squad while they were in Holland earlier this year. We decided to have a coffee at the Taj Coffee Shop instead of looking like groupies in the foyer while we waited for Chaminda to get there with the tickets. He joined us shortly, for a tea, and Sanath was also there a few minutes later. The waiter who up until then had been taking his time to bring our order, suddenly perked up and speedily brought our beverages. A short while later the famous Muttiah Muralitharan also appeared and said hello, Sanath calmly introduced him as Murali (as if we wouldn't recognise that toothy grin anywhere!). I guess living in Sri Lanka does have its upsides, since I can't imagine ever having a chat and a coffee with any of the Indian cricket team, what with their iconic status in India, which is quite mad about hero-worshipping their cricket players, who are akin to the bollywood stars! Considering their achievements in their chosen profession, they were all very polite and down-to-earth! However some poor Indian tourists looking for a picture with Sanath were curtly and politely refused by him saying they were in a "meeting", which I guess made Shiv and me feel important for those few seconds, although I felt a bit bad for the little kids who wanted to get a picture, and it was amusing to watch them persist with their desire to take a picture by sneaking photos from the pillar behind where we were sitting.

I also spotted Ajit Agarkar while I was there, but didn't want to go up to chat with him.

The whole experience was a bit surreal and like I was telling Shiv later, I'd love to see the Indian team but I think I'd be too start-struck to actually be able to speak to them! In any case we've both decided to hang out as groupies at the Taj so we can catch some more of the players.

As we left, I wished Chaminda & Sanath luck for the match, obviously pointing out that I would be rooting for the opposition ;-)...

Watch this space for some photos if I get round to it... M told me to play it cool and not take any pictures with them, which looking back at those poor Indian tourists, I'm glad I didn't pull out my camera!

No comments: